“Climate scientists said the Arctic and other areas that were once relatively fire-free are likely to become more vulnerable.
“What we’re seeing with this global heatwave is that these areas of fire susceptibility are now broadening, with the moors in north-west England and now these Swedish fires a consequence of that. …
Both these areas are typically mild and wet which allows forests and peatlands to develop quite large carbon stores. … When such carbon-dense ecosystems experience aridity and heat and there is a source of ignition – lightning or people – fires will happen.”” https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jul/18/sweden-calls-for-help-as-arctic-circle-hit-by-wildfires
When your deep freeze is on fire, it’s time to stop guzzling.
“The EU’s limits on the amount of chemical residue found in food products is clearly a source of aggravation to Indian businesses, who describe complications complying with rules on a range of exports:
• Trace amounts of of fungicide in basmati rice
• Growth retarding chemicals in grapes
• Aflatoxins in chillies and spices
• Antibiotics in fish products
• Food hygiene standards at processing plants involved in milk products such as paneer
… The report cites an assortment of other complaints with a range of EU rules, such as lead limits in jewellery.” https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/2018/07/12/brexit-uk-india-trade-review-out-of-reach/
European directives may seem to be lagging in the drive toward renewable energy generation, but at least they have banned jewel-fuelled vehicles.
“The mass of humans – the sum of the body weights of all 7.5 billion people on Earth – now comprises 32% of the total mass of all vertebrates (mammals, reptiles, birds and amphibians) on land. Our domesticated animals, such as cattle, pigs and sheep, comprise another 65%. That is, humans and our domesticates comprise 97% of the mass of all terrestrial vertebrates – leaving only 3% for all of the Earth’s wild terrestrial vertebrates.”
“The practice of using animal by-products and even dead animals to make electricity and gas in Britain is widespread and is euphemistically described by one of the Big Six energy companies as “recycling”. … The Big Six supplier SSE has admitted it used dead salmon from factory fish farms in Scotland to generate some of its power. … Small green supplier Good Energy generated some of its ‘ethical green energy’ using pig slurry from a factory farm at the centre of animal cruelty allegations.” https://theecologist.org/2018/jul/04/vegans-shocked-find-secret-ingredient-gas-and-electricity-supplies
Another electrifying post apparently brought to you by cow shit – discovering how my ‘ethical’ electricity is produced is making my guts churn.
Polish “environmental EcoLogic Group placed a tracker on the back of a white stork last year to track the bird’s migratory habits. It travelled some 3,700 miles (6,000kms), and was traced to the Blue Nile Valley in eastern Sudan before the charity lost contact. … Somebody found the tracker in Sudan, removed the sim card and put it in their own phone, where they then racked up 20 hours’ worth of phone calls. … The organisation has received a phone bill of over 10,000 Polish zloty ($2,700; £2,064)” https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-44645217
It’s good to stork, but beware of roaming charges, especially if you’re hard of heron.
“Cook is among hundreds of fishermen in Grand Manan – an [Canadian] island of about 2,500 people – who have been temporarily banned from fishing after the sighting of a single North Atlantic right whale.
“This is unprecedented,” said Cook, chairman of the Grand Manan Fishermen’s Association’s lobster advisory board. “We’ve never seen this before, and hopefully we never see it again.”” https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/jul/06/canada-grand-manan-ban-fishing-endangered-whale
A lobster advised him not to worry: keep overfishing and destroying habitat and the few hundred right whales will soon be none left whales.
“Long-term exposure to traffic noise affects our blood biochemistry, over and above the effects of exhaust fumes. … It is thought that noise triggers the release of the stress hormone cortisol, which damages blood vessels over time. … A leading acoustics engineer, Trevor Cox, hypothesises that the noises we find most stressful are distress calls – screams with an unhinged roughness to them, caused by the vibrations of the vocal folds when someone is truly terrified.” https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/jul/03/sonic-doom-noise-pollution-kills-heart-disease-diabetes
Tinnitus and my mother’s giddy excitement have been reclassified as fatal.